Wednesday 22 August 2012

....meanwhile, in training

First off, holy shit that was a lot of interest in my last post! Nearly 2000 views of my post explaining why Hell Pizza are bad citizens. That's a lot of angry pizza-eaters. Thanks to everyone who read, commented, discussed, and ultimately got Wellington Rape Crisis enough funding to stay open five (five!) days a week. If only we could have these essential services WITHOUT having to have the public outcry first (OK, imagine a world where we didn't need rape crisis centres. Much better)

Back in the world of the marathon, things are.....progressing. I guess. I had a rebellious weekend where instead of a two hour run on Sunday I lay in bed with the curtains drawn and cursed whoever invented pinot gris, and was still feeling a bit crap yesterday. Today the sun was shining and spring had most definitely arrived on the porch so I decided to go for a 10k or so to blow the cobwebs out. Of course, good weather and a slight feeling of guilt meant that I overdid it a little and ended up running nearly 15k, before my body decided that a packet of ramen noodles and a cup-a-soup was inadequate for the demand placed upon it, energy gels be damned. 

Speaking of delicious "jam in a bag" nutritional options, I discovered my local supermarket sells Horleys' jambags at $13 for 5. The raspberry ones taste pretty un-raspberry-like but aren't too bad when washed down with some NUUN and water, and they do the job, so I think I'll stick with them for the time being. It occurred to me today (nomming a gel every 5 or so k) that having a gel when running is as close to the effect you see spinach having on Popeye as a real human is likely to get. I had definitely not eaten nearly enough for a 15k run today but having the gel made the legs feel less fatigued, the muscles less sore and almost put a spring in my otherwise weary step. 

That's not a cigar, that's some Chocolate Outrage
I'm getting better at the whole nutrition thing but still haven't quite nailed it. With just over two months to go it's time to really dig in and get all those cliches about giving it everything and aiming high that us runners bloody LOVE. I have to say, though, that part of me is feeling a bit rebellious. I've been training for this bloody thing for nearly four months now, and I find myself feeling almost resentful at times. Hangovers are bad enough without a feeling of guilt that I should be hitting the pavement. A hard day at work is only compounded by the dilemma of a) going for a run when making some toast feels like a big ask or b) making toast instead and sitting looking at Tumblr feeling like the unfittest, biggest marathon loser in the world for not running. Ugh. It makes me reconsider my idea of the Half Ironman next year. Is this really how I want my life to be? Further weekends of wine denial so I can plod my way round yet another course? Endurance events are very much a lifestyle choice and I guess I don't know if I'm, I dunno, good enough? Too slow and self-conscious for the running clubs, I don't feel like I've made the friends and connections that I had sort-of-hoped I would through running. Social awkwardness is magnified when you're wearing running tights and jiggling. 

Still, I'm getting towards that marathon finish line. Slowly, so slowly, but I'm getting there. First ever half marathon in just over a week, and I'm feeling pretty psyched about it. I'm enjoying the feeling of being able to run 10k, not as an "OMG LONG RUN HOLY SHIT" but as a fairly generic shorter gig. I'm enjoying the realisation that I can absolutely do this. I'm also enjoying planning what wine I'm going to buy for the first weekend of November. 

No comments:

Post a Comment